By Christopher R. Cogle (auth.), Alison L. Allan (eds.)
The “cancer stem phone” speculation postulates that melanoma arises from a subpopulation of tumor-initiating cells or melanoma stem cells (CSCs). whereas the assumption of melanoma stem cells has been round for greater than 100 years, proof from the fields of hematology and melanoma biology has now tested the serious position of stem cells in hematological malignancies and instructed that those related mechanisms also are primary to the initiation, development, and therapy of sturdy cancers. scientific and experimental reports have proven that CSCs express many classical houses of ordinary stem cells, together with a excessive self-renewal ability and the facility to generate heterogeneous lineages; the requirement for a particular “niche”/microenvironment to develop; and an elevated ability for self-protection opposed to harsh environments, pollutants, and medication.
Cancer Stem Cells in strong Tumors represents a close assessment of melanoma stem cells and their function in sturdy cancers. made from 24 chapters, this quantity will supply readers with a complete realizing of this significant and evolving field.
Topics coated include:
- Introduction of the CSC hypothesis
- Historical views and the contributing classes from leukemia
- Current wisdom concerning the id and position of CSCs in quite a few kinds of strong melanoma together with breast, mind, colorectal, pancreatic, prostate, cancer, lung, ovarian, hepatocellular, and head and neck melanoma
- Molecular pathways focused on riding CSC functionality, with a selected specialize in the radical convergence of embryonic and tumorigenic signaling pathways
- In vitro and in vivo assays, version platforms, and imaging modalities for learning CSCs
- The scientific significance of CSCs for melanoma administration and therapy, together with very important implications for diagnosis, prediction, and therapy resistance
- Consideration of the talk surrounding the CSC speculation and demanding unanswered questions during this field
This collective paintings was once written by means of a gaggle of fashionable overseas specialists in melanoma biology, oncology, and/or stem mobile biology. it's going to function a necessary source for proven researchers, professors, overall healthiness care pros, and scholars within the clinical and medical neighborhood who're investigating stem cells and/or oncology.
Read or Download Cancer Stem Cells in Solid Tumors PDF
Similar cancer books
For Kelly Corrigan, kin is every little thing. At thirty-six, she had a wedding that labored, humorous, energetic youngsters, and a weekly newspaper column. yet at the same time a thriving grownup, Kelly nonetheless observed herself because the daughter of garrulous Irish-American charmer George Corrigan. She used to be dwelling deep inside of what she calls the center Place--"that sliver of time whilst parenthood and adolescence overlap"--comfortably wedged among her grownup tasks and her parents' care.
An exam of surgical breast reconstruction which establishes a powerful hyperlink among, at the one hand, the non-public emotions and activities of ladies with breast melanoma, and at the different, strong discourses and practices of the breast melanoma flow.
- The Molecular Biology of Cancer
- Head and Neck Cancer Imaging (Medical Radiology / Diagnostic Imaging)
- New Approaches in Cancer Pharmacology: Drug Design and Development: Vol. II
- Application of Hyperthermia in the Treatment of Cancer
Extra info for Cancer Stem Cells in Solid Tumors
Aigner S, Ramos CL, Hafezi-Moghadam A, Lawrence MB, Friederichs J, Altevogt P, Ley K (1998) Cd24 mediates rolling of breast carcinoma cells on p-selectin. Schabath H, Runz S, Joumaa S, Altevogt P (2006) Cd24 affects cxcr4 function in pre-b lymphocytes and breast carcinoma cells. J Cell Sci 119 (Pt 2):314–325. 02741 69. Rappa G, Lorico A (2010) Phenotypic characterization of mammosphere-forming cells from the human ma-11 breast carcinoma cell line. Exp Cell Res 316 (9):1576–1586. 012 70. Charafe-Jauffret E, Ginestier C, Monville F, Finetti P, Adelaide J, Cervera N, Fekairi S, Xerri L, Jacquemier J, Birnbaum D, Bertucci F (2006) Gene expression profiling of breast cell lines 2 Cancer Stem Cells in Breast Cancer 33 identifies potential new basal markers.
Allan cancer patients [28, 31, 32]. Additionally, the CD44+CD24− population appears to be enriched in basal-like tumors (ER, PR, HER2 negative) and in BRCA1 tumors , both of which have been associated with poor patient prognosis [34, 35]. The presence of a CSC population has also been verified in breast cancer cell lines and primary tumor samples . Due to the functional stem cell-like characteristics of these cells, the term “cancer stem cell” is a fitting descriptor. However, it does not mean that these cells are indeed stem cells re-wired, although they may be.
10057 80. Levi BP, Yilmaz OH, Duester G, Morrison SJ (2009) Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1a1 is dispensable for stem cell function in the mouse hematopoietic and nervous systems. Blood 113 (8): 1670–1680. 1182/blood-2008-05-156752 81. Hess DA, Meyerrose TE, Wirthlin L, Craft TP, Herrbrich PE, Creer MH, Nolta JA (2004) Functional characterization of highly purified human hematopoietic repopulating cells isolated according to aldehyde dehydrogenase activity. Blood 104 (6):1648–1655. 1182/blood2004-02-0448 2004-02-0448 [pii] 82.